Steven Woolfe To Stay In Hospital For At Least Two More Days

  1. Home
  2. World
By Miles Goslett | 5:24 am, October 7, 2016

UKIP MEP Steven Woolfe is to remain in hospital in Strasbourg for at least two more days following yesterday’s “altercation” with a colleague in the European Parliament.

Party sources said he is being kept under observation having suffered two seizures, one of which was “serious”.

Mr Woolfe yesterday released a statement confirming  a brain scan had given him the all-clear.

The statement read: “The CT scan has shown that there is no blood clot in the brain. At the moment I am feeling brighter, happier, and smiling as ever.  As a precaution, I am being kept in overnight awaiting secondary tests to make sure everything is fine. I would like everyone to know that the parliamentary staff, the Ukip MEPs with me and hospital staff have been brilliant. Their care has been exceptional. I am sitting up, and said to be looking well. The only consequence at the moment is a bit of numbness on the left hand side of my face.”

Today he claimed the event which led to his hospitalisation was triggered by his fellow UKIP MEP Mike Hookem during a tense meeting.

As tempers flared, the two men apparently left the meeting room whereupon Hookem “came at me and landed a blow”, Woolfe told the Daily Mail. He added: “Mike was obviously very angry and lost his temper.”

Mr Hookem has denied this allegation.

This morning UKIP leader Nigel Farage said he has ordered an internal inquiry into the incident.

He put out a statement saying: “I confirm that I have asked the Party Chairman and Party Secretary to conduct an investigation early next week from which the truth will be discovered. All other claims being made in the media by representatives of UKIP who were not even there at the time are extremely unhelpful.”

While UKIP lurches from one crisis to another following the resignation of its newly elected leader Diane James earlier this week, some trolls have taken delight in Mr Woolfe’s medical condition.

A formal statement on Mr Woolfe’s situation is expected later today.