Ever wonder why Star Wars decided to make Mary Sue character Rey their main focus for The Force Awakens? Well, according to Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy it’s because male Star Wars fans don’t need to be catered to anymore.
Kennedy was chosen to replace George Lucas, the creator of Lucasfilm and Star Wars, when Disney bought the studio in 2012. Since then she has done a fantastic job running the studio, to the tune of $2 billion in revenue from The Force Awakens and over $3 million in merchandise.
In an interview with the New York Times, Kennedy addressed her decision to cast a female lead in her second movie in charge, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. “I have a responsibility to the company that I work with. I don’t feel that I have a responsibility to cater in some way [to those particular fans],” she said. “I would never just seize on saying, ‘Well, this is a franchise that’s appealed primarily to men for many, many years, and therefore I owe men something.'”
The movie, starring Felicity Jones as Jyn Erso, opens on December 16 and takes place between episodes III and IV.
In the same New York Times feature, Jones said: “We wanted the audience to relate to Jyn as a person, whether you’re a boy or a girl, a man or a woman.” She added: “Like all of us, she’s trying to work out what the hell to do.”