‘We Had the Wrong Man’ — German Christmas Market Attacker Still at Large

  1. Home
  2. World
By NewsCred | 9:19 am, December 20, 2016

The armed killer who ploughed into a Berlin Christmas market is still on the run and the cops have the wrong man, German anti-terror chiefs have admitted.

Senior police confirmed: “We have the wrong man.”

A 23-year-old Pakistani man named as Navid B was arrested over the atrocity but had no blood or gun residue on his clothes, denied any knowledge of the attack and is believed to be innocent, the sources added.

In a terrifying warning to the German people, they told newspaper Die Welt: “We have a new situation. The true perpetrator is still armed, at large and can cause further damage.”

Refugee Navid B, 23, had been pursued by a have-a-go-hero following the attack that left 12 dead and 50 injured last night.

But Berlin police chief Klaus Kandt raised doubts they had the right man this afternoon, saying: “As far as I know it is in fact uncertain whether that really was the driver.”

Die Welt earlier quoted “high security sources” as saying Navid B was not behind the wheel.

It was earlier thought the attack – which bore haunting similarities to July’s Nice atrocity – may have been ordered by an ISIS handler in the Middle East.

One witness claims the terrorist was masked when he ploughed a hijacked truck loaded with 25 tonnes of steel into a Berlin Christmas market at around 7pm.

The Foreign Office confirmed no Brits had been injured during the attack.

Festive shoppers were feasting on mulled wine and bratwurst when the HGV smashed through the wooden stalls.

The lorry’s Polish driver Lukasz Urban, 37, had been shot dead in the passenger seat.

His cousin Ariel Zurawski, who identified Urban, said: “His face was swollen and bloodied. It was really clear that he was fighting for his life.”

This article was originally published in the Sun.

Advertisement